All Posts in Community

May 12, 2014 - 2 comments

Clarity at 2,310 Meters

I Love To Cycle

The last three years of my life have been, well, interesting to say the least.

Five years ago, I knew I wanted to start road cycling. But if you know much about road bikes, you know they cost as much as a used car. Well, the good ones do that is.  And, I tend to be an elitist about these types of things.

Read more

November 6, 2013 - 2 comments

The Paradigm of Community

Even though it pains me to write it, I’m getting older. For example, two weeks ago I had to get glasses because I could no longer read road signs as I was driving until they were just a few yards away.

As we move through life, more and more similar situations occur and we adjust or we find help; I got glasses. To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of them but I can see clearly now, and things have definition and textures again, which I love. Read more

August 15, 2012 - No Comments!

Be a Quitter

This past week one of my mentors said something that I’ve been thinking about none stop, since he said it! He said: “Be a quitter if you must! Sometimes, the greatest move forward is quitting something. Ask: what should I put my hands in and where to take my hands off!”
I’m not sure about you, but I’ve NEVER had anyone tell me to quit something. It goes against all of my Southern upbringing. My dad and granddad drilled into me that your name is all that you have and that when you quit something – anything – you’ve lost your name. So, when my mentor said that, I was caught in the middle of two worlds, the euphoria or quitting a few things I hate doing (NO I love my job here at Shift Digital and I love my team) and what if I lose my name.

Maybe, just maybe, he was onto something. No, I know he was. There are too many people who are too scared to move on, too scared of what people think, too scared to try something new, too scared to let others speak into the issue they have in their company. They are too scared to let the “young kids” run with it because what do they really know. Too scared to submite to the “wiser” people in their company because they are out of touch. It is time for you to “be a quitter” and take your hand off of your fears, off of that thing in your life, the fear of not understanding, stop the worry about what if I make a mistake and stop looking to what is past.

A wise Doctor once said:

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ~Dr. Seuss

Today is the day for you to quit and move on!

August 6, 2012 - No Comments!

What’s Your Story? (And How Well Are You Telling It?)

A Picture is Worth a 1000 Words

They say that a picture is worth a 1000 words. I say it is worth 1000 emotions. After reading Gini Dietrich’s post last week appropriately titled “The 10 Things I Want to Do Before I Die“, I was reminded of how I want to get my masters in photojournalism. Photography, both taking photos and looking at them, is one of my favorite escapes. When I look at photos, I’m teleported to another time or space. I’ve spent countless hours looking at Zach Arias‘ and Ansel Adams’ art as well as hundreds of others.

Read more